At times like these, when the British weather cannot be relied upon with rain likely even in the hottest season, kids need something to cheer them up.

Enter Holly and Beau’s range of waterproof clothing, such as raincoats and umbrellas that change colour when it rains.

The attire is pretty drab when there’s no water to activate the colours, but when the items come into contact with aqua, the cute patterns transform into flashes of colour.

The founders, brother and sister Jack and Fleur Pessant used the principle of babies’ nappies changing colour when they were wet and after two years of research and development, the range was launched.

They explained: “Having had the wettest summer in decades we noticed that children’s waterproofs can be so dull. We wanted to put fun and excitement into welly wearing weather, and our magical colour changing collection does just that.

“We first noticed the concept used on baby’s nappies and thought it would be great to apply this to children’s clothing. After two years of research and development we have taken the concept and applied it to a selection of what we believe a comparatively high quality fabrics and materials.”

Holly and Beau’s designs are already stocked in a number of stores including Harvey Nichols and Bentalls and are available in 21 countries, but now the couple wants to expand distribution, marketing and production to meet customer demand.

75 per cent of the £50,000 sought will be spent on marketing and advertising the products, hopefully culminating in a US launch. The remaining 25 per cent will be spent on product development, including filing patents to protect the designs and sourcing materials to upscale.

Holly and Beau’s CrowdCube campaign ends in September. The company is offering 15 per cent equity to those who support the campaign.